ArcGIS Pro: A year later

I mentioned previously that I was finally considering making the jump from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro. I made the switch in early 2018, and after an adjustment period of a few weeks, I have not looked back.

Seriously.

For those still waiting to make the switch, just do it. I highly recommend completing the official tutorials. It is a huge adjustment to go from dialogue boxes to the ribbon interface, akin to the user shock experience when switching over from Office 2003 to Office 2007.

You’ll also need to learn how to deal with multiple data¬† map frames and layouts in one map document project, the lack of a standalone ArcCatalog, and the ability to link 2D and 3D views in one place. There are also new terms which you will need to learn, and new concepts.

A few of my favourite things:

  • Seamless integration with AGOL/Portal
  • Labelling properties now accessible through groups on the ribbon – no more Inception levels of dialogue boxes
  • Data driven pages is more robust
  • BIM integration
  • arcpy.mapping overhauled to arcpy.mp – a much more intuitive module
  • One ArcGIS project per client containing multiple data frames for each task – no need for dozens of map documents
  • Python 3 support (and built in Anaconda!)

I could go on. Our local licence server for Desktop went down a few weeks ago, and I only found out a few days after it happened because I just don’t open ArcMap anymore. With the latest update to Pro, I can now quickly launch a project without needing to save it first, a feature that was lacking up until now. My last reason to use ArcMap is gone.

Advertisements

Coded values display in AGOL instead of their descriptions

I’ve been quite busy over the last few months. I’ve fully switched over to ArcGIS Pro, and I’ve been spending most of my time developing a fieldwork workflow using Workforce, Survey123, Collector and ArcGIS Online.¬† I also (finally) forced myself to dabble with the ArcGIS Python API, which has fallen neatly into place alongside my normal fiddling with ArcPy.

I thought I’d write this post quickly just to document something I’ve noticed when publishing a feature layer symbolised using unique values from a coded value domain to ArcGIS Online. Despite the descriptions displaying correctly in Pro, if one edits the symbols and then does not delete all the feature templates and recreate them, editing them in an online web map will result in the codes being shown on the edit dialog, and not the descriptions.

Image result for holy run-on sentence batman

The way around this is to, well, delete the feature templates and recreate them before publishing. I’ve had this happen a few times, where everything looks great online, and then someone tries to edit it in Collector using the codes.